Session Update – May 2023
The Session of Highland Park Presbyterian Church is the ruling body of our congregation, charged with governance, overseeing the Church’s spiritual health, and guiding its mission for Christ in the world. To better do this, the Session frequently communicates with the congregation of HP Pres to report its decisions and activities.
On Monday, May 22, our Session met after prayer and fasting to discuss leading HP Pres. Below are some of the highlights from the meeting that you should be aware of and pray for this next month. If you have questions or feedback about any of these topics, you can contact the Session.
- The meeting opened with reflections on the passing and impact of theologian and pastor Tim Keller. Watch “Gratitude for Tim Keller” by John Ortberg here.
- In preparation for Pentecost, the Elders spent time celebrating where they see the Holy Spirit at work at HP Pres.
- Ted Munselle was announced as HP Pres’ new Interim Executive Director. Ted brings years of institutional knowledge to the role, and experience as an Elder and volunteer, and we are grateful to him for stepping in during this time.
- Nine summer interns began their work at HP Pres today! Be praying for these college students, as well as the kids and students that they are ministering to over the next several months.
- ECO is encouraging churches to spend a season intentionally focusing on church planting. Learn more about what is in store by watching this video, shared by the presbytery.
- The June Session meeting has been moved to Good Shepherd Oak Cliff, the newest members of our family of churches. You can learn more about our newest church plant here.
- The Operations Committee shared that giving last month increased, representing a 14% increase compared to April last year, and spending is down. While this is great news, there is roughly a $117,000 deficit that needs to be made up over the next few months.
- The Operations Committee also shared that the creation of the 2023-2024 budget is underway, with the stated goal of keeping the overall budget total the same as the previous year.
- The Session welcomed in 101 new Covenant Partners into our Family of Churches.
The Session of HP Pres